Search This Blog

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Everything Sad is Untrue (a true story): childhood memoir




 Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri is a gripping memoir of his childhood in Oklahoma.  He is only a young child when he leaves his country, Iran, to embark on a journey of survival to finally land in Oklahoma.  He recalls his earliest memories of his life in Iran before moving across the world.  With equal parts humor, nostalgia, stark realism mixed with Persian history and poetry, Nayeri weaves a highly emotional story.  It's definitely for an adult audience with complex themes of abuse, drugs, and religion.  

As an immigrant myself, I am drawn to other immigrants' stories of the push and pull factors that led to relocating in the U.S.  Learning about other people's stories allows me to reconnect to my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...