Search This Blog

Monday, January 18, 2021

What We'll Build: Plans for Our Together Future

 




What We'll Build: Plans for Our Together Future by Oliver Jeffers is a beautiful picture book that asks the reader to look to the future with hope.  My students shared what they planned on getting better at in the New Year or what they want to do less of.  This primed them for the book's message:  looking forward to taking action in your community with friends and foes.



The story opens with two pairs of hands that agree to start building. 
 I asked my students, who is someone with whom you like to build?  



It continues by showing the team building and taking things apart. 
I asked my students, what is something you've built and taken apart?



After much building the team takes a break in the story. 
I asked my students, where is your favorite place to relax and recharge your energy?



At one point in the story, the team hide behind a castle wall to steer clear from villains on the other side.  In the following page the villains show remorse and offer apologies.  On this page the team and the villains sit together at a table.  
I asked my students why this is an important message, to forgive one another.



My favorite part of this books is when Jeffers shows the ideas of the two team members colliding.  I asked my students what they want to build in their future.  With each turn of the page there are a number of conversations that come up.  

This is a graphically pleasing story appropriate for ages 4 and up.  
Jeffers' website offers FREE resources (craft and activity sheets) for many of his books, including What We'll Build.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...