Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2021

Bit About Books Winter Reading Challenge 2021

 


Ever since I was young, books offered an escape.  I could travel somewhere else, become a different person and join the characters on their journey for the duration of the book reading, but also, afterwards.  When I'd hear something and could connect it to a character, event or storyline from a story, I knew that books were magical because they could become a part of me.  It is not surprising that as a teacher and librarian I am constantly on the lookout for the best books to read and share with my students, teachers, and community members.  

One way that helps me stay on track with reading is by participating in reading challenges.  It's easy to do when the categories for what to read are intriguing, yet broad enough to find books that fit within them.  Another way that makes it more enjoyable is to share what I am reading for the challenge with others.  I love learning what others are reading and if they like it.  With the high numbers of books being published, word of mouth, seems like the best way to catch the best of the best ones.




This is my first year participating in the Bit About Books Winter Reading Challenge. There are points for each category and you can share what you've read on social media with the hashtag, #bitaboutbooks .  I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and will participate in future challenges because it pushed me out of my comfort zone to read books I wouldn't usually read on my own: 

FREE CHOICE: When You Trap a Tiger by Tae Keller 



100-200 Pages: Be Not Far From Me by Mindy McGinnis 



1-Word Title: Grown by Tiffany D. Jackson




Author Debut: Every Body Looking by Candice Iloh


Animal Main Character: Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker



A Direction in the Main Title: Nowhere Boy by Katherine Marsh


A 2021 Publish: Flight of the Puffin by Ann Braden



A Book Set in Country I Don't Live: All Thirteen: The Incredible Cave Rescue of the Thai Boys' Soccer Team by Christina Soontornvat


An Award-Winner: When Stars are Scattered by Omar Mohamed and Victoria Jamieson




A Person's Name in the Title: The Rise and Fall of Charles Lindbergh by Candace Fleming


2 Books by the Same Author:  Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky and Tristan Strong Destroys the World by Kwame Mbalia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...