Search This Blog

Friday, May 28, 2021

Road Trip: an invitation in storytelling & geography

 




Every day in the library we share what special day it is alongside some books that go with the topic and a fact or writing or discussion prompt of some sort. ( Some students think that I come up with these myself, but thanks to websites like National Today, I show them that they, too, can find out what special days there are.)

This practice has helped me find gaps in our collection, uncover more interests for our students & staff, and provides a context for modeling inquiry-based thinking and questioning for students.  It has also shown me that I don't have to wait until that special day to use that topic for library lessons with students.  For example, on May 28, our students don't have school,  but I would like to use this special Road Trip Day as a future lesson idea.

I would present books that are on this topic, in every format: picture, graphic novel, chapter, e-books, then ask students to pick a question to discuss with a partner.

For extension ideas you can have students write a story map for their choice or make an iMovie trailer about what it would be like if their choice was made into a movie.  Students could also use Google Maps to plan a road trip along with stops and what they'd do in those towns.  Or going old school and asking them to turn an image into a postcard and write a note to someone about what they're seeing on the trip and how it's going.

Here is a link to our Today Is slideshow. If you have more ideas, please add them to comments below! 



1 comment:

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...