Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2021

Take Back the Block: a middle grades activism tale

 




Take Back the Block by Chrystal D. Giles is a middle-grades, fictional chapter book that centers on the gentrification that is happening all over this country.  The main character is 11 year-old Wes who has grown up in his neighborhood of The Oaks for his entire life.  In fact, he lives in his grandfather's home where his mom grew up, too.  She drags him to social justice protests every weekend but he cannot see how it relates to him. He thinks, "I got why we were there, but I was a little tired of fighting battles that didn't have anything to do with me."

As he's making the transition from elementary to middle school, he is worried about looking cool, keeping up with his studies, but certainly not his friends.  He has a tight-knit crew of Alyssa, Brent, Jas, Mya, and Kari.  Even though My and Kari are on the outs, he has high hopes that they will get past it soon.

Unfortunately once the school year begins, a real-estate development company offers residents of The Oaks over appraisal value for their homes so that they can demolish and build new condos and retail plazas there.  At first, some of the residents want to take the money and leave, but over time they realize that their neighborhood has more value than money.  It is a community, a home nestled near the inner-city of a bustling place.  Why should they be forced to move away just so higher-wage earners can live in their part of the city?

Wes is determined to help his activist parents with this problem.  He invokes the help of his new teacher who connects him with a community organizer and from there, there is hope!  Wes and Alyssa research ideas on how to save their community and actually find one way that could possibly work. His teacher tells him, "this is why I wanted you to research social justice.  Being aware of what's happening in society connects us to the world around us."

I loved this story because it was fast-paced, full of dynamic characters and a truly realistic problem facing communities today.  There are lots of opportunities for readers to discuss what they think about Wes and his friends and family.  The story is about gentrification, but it is also about the bonds of friendship, poverty, racial profiling, family and standing up for what's right.

When I first heard about this story I thought that I wouldn't be able to relate to it because I live in a college-town.  After reading and enjoying it immensely, I highly recommend it to middle grade readers, educators, community members and families.  Giles writes with humor, heart, and a memorable tone. She even dedicates the book to her "son, Ezra, may you always take up space, be visible, and raise your voice." This is what I, too, hope for my students and daughter.

Here is a free excerpt from the book or listen to Giles read the first chapter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...