Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2022

Anisa's International Day: cultural pride



Anisa’s  International Day by Reem Faruqi is an early chapter book story about a 3rd grader named Anisa who is Pakistani-American. She is a positive role model for young people as she is proud of her heritage and is eager to share it with her classmates. It even inspires her teacher to create a project around it for her whole class: an International Day!


As an immigrant myself, I enjoy this story because of how Faruqi seamlessly weaves in cultural information into the story and supports it with recipes, directions for the crafts and a glossary at the end of the book! As a parent and teacher, I like how Faruqi shows how Anisa uses her doodling to help with her anxious feelings and how Anisa’s teacher helps her when there is a misunderstanding with her best friend. Conflict resolution is an important topic for social-emotional lessons for children and this story is a perfect example to use. 


A huge thank you to Reem Faruqi for sharing an ARC of this book with my Book Excursion book review group. I cannot wait to share this with my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Less toxic masculinity, more community support

Ultraviolet by Aida Salazar is already one of my favorite books of 2024. When I was entering middle school, I read a lot of Judy Blume and...